If you or a loved one need respite care after surgery or ongoing care for chronic illness, you may be considering enlisting the help of a home care company.
Whether you’re planning to enlist the help of an agency or hire a personal home help, knowing what questions to ask is essential to receiving high quality assistance.
We have put together a list of questions you should review when making this important decision.
- How long have they been in business?
- Are they members of an association that promotes standards of care? (e.g. Home and Community Care Ireland)
- How do they select and train their carers? (background checks etc.)
- Can they provide references from previous clients?
- What are the costs?
- What services do they provide? It often more important to know what services they don’t provide.
- What tax relief is available on the costs? Is there any financial assistance available?
- Do they provide a written care plan?
- Do they have supervisors who monitor their carers to ensure high quality?
- What is their policy for emergencies?
- Do you need medical / nursing care?
- Do you need dementia care?
- What precise support services do you need?
- Do you need transportation to appointments / for shopping etc.?
- Do you need medication management?
- Have you any specific dietary needs that will need to be taken care of?
- What are their skills and qualifications?
- Are they fluent in English or your native language?
- What is their temperament / nature like?
- Have they any personal references from previous clients?
The home care market is growing every year in Ireland.
We hope this checklist will help assist you in finding the care provider that is right for you and your loved one.
- Alzheimer's and Dementia
- Dental Health
- Elder Abuse
- Entitlements for Older People
- Expert Interviews
- Eye Problems
- Heart Health
- Hip Problems
- Home Care
- Multigenerational housing
- Nursing Homes