Your Checklist For A Safe HomeFew things are as important as keeping everyone safe at home. Having a home, sweet home is great, but if you do your best to make it a home, safe home, too, then things will be even sweeter. Let’s take a look at the precautions you need to take to ensure home safety. Keeping Your […]
Few things are as important as keeping everyone safe at home.
Having a home, sweet home is great, but if you do your best to make it a home, safe home, too, then things will be even sweeter.
Let’s take a look at the precautions you need to take to ensure home safety.
Keeping Your Home Secure
Break-ins happen all the time. Some of the things you need to do to keep intruders away include:
- Regularly checking the garage door and calling a garage door repair service if it’s having problems
- Installing a deadbolt lock on all doors
- Refraining from leaving house key under mats, potted plants, or rocks
- Installing motion-sensing flood lights in the backyard
- Investing in a home security system
- Having a guard dog or two
Preventing Slips and Falls
Slips and falls are a common and serious concern that seniors face, especially at home. To prevent such accidents from happening at home, you can take the following precautions:
- Make sure there are no loose or uneven carpets or rugs at home.
- Don’t use floor wax.
- Clear the floor and stairs of any clutter that people could trip on.
- Install banisters with handrails on each side of the stairs.
- Clean up drinks, food, and other spills right away.
- Refrain from running electric cords and cables across the floor to prevent tripping.
- Don’t store everyday items in high cupboards; always keep them within reach.
- Install more lights and keep some of them on at night.
- Put up grab bars on both sides of toilets and bathtubs and handrails in the shower.
It won’t hurt to invest in fire extinguishers, as they are the best way to put out small fires and prevent them from becoming bigger.
Irene Trentham is the Content Marketing Strategist of Arizona’s Best Garage Door and Repair Company, a locally-owned enterprise that specializes in garage door installation and repair for residents of Phoenix and surrounding areas. She loves to do camping, hiking and yoga and to spend time with her family and baby girl, Tatum when not writing.
- Alzheimer's and Dementia
- Dental Health
- Elder Abuse
- Entitlements for Older People
- Expert Interviews
- Eye Problems
- Heart Health
- Hip Problems
- Home Care
- Multigenerational housing
- Nursing Homes