Travel Insurance for Older People in IrelandImage by Highways Agency We have received several emails from concerned individuals enquiring about travel insurance for older people. There ...
Travel Insurance for Older People in Ireland
We have received several emails from concerned individuals enquiring about travel insurance for older people.
There is no doubt that most insurance premiums go up after 65, but it seems many insurance companies simply won’t cover people over 65.
For the ones that will provide cover, there are strict terms and conditions. Some require a medical report for individuals over a certain age (75 to 80).
Some companies will not cover you if you have had medical treatment in the previous 3 years.
Who Will Cover You
- Several people have said that the AA have been very good for travel insurance for older people.
- Quickcover.ie have a new product for over 75 years of age and/or for those with pre-existing medical conditions. Should you have any queries please visit www.quickcover.ie or call the travel team on 01 525 7909
- Insure and Go – www.insureandgo.ie was recommended by Karen and Trevor. According to their website, all pre-existing medical conditions are considered.
- Multitrip – www.multitrip.com/ie was recommended by Eddie.
- VHI insure 78% of all insurance customers aged 70 – 79 years in Ireland.
- Age Action have a list of Travel Insurance providers here: https://ageaction.ie/sites/default/files/pdf/Travel%20Insurance%202010.pdf (PDF file)
If you are travelling in Europe, you should have an EHIC card.
Here are some details on this from Citizens Information: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/
There are no guarantees, but we hope this will help speed up the process for you the next time you or an older loved one need to find travel insurance.
Age Action have an information service you can contact: https://ageaction.ie/information-service
- Alzheimer's and Dementia
- Dental Health
- Elder Abuse
- Entitlements for Older People
- Expert Interviews
- Eye Problems
- Heart Health
- Hip Problems
- Home Care
- Multigenerational housing
- Nursing Homes