– A guest post from a:m web
Google’s response? It was the users’ fault for not choosing secure passwords.
A hacked Gmail account could give access to Social Media accounts, bank accounts, and many other accounts associated with it. It’s crucial that you secure it to prevent this.
The best way that we have found for securing your Gmail account is 2-step verification.
Two step verification provides Gmail users an extra layer of security. It requires you to be able to access your mobile phone when you sign into your email account – as they will be sending you a unique “verification” number via SMS.
The advantage of this approach s that even if cybercriminals manage to steal your username and password, they won’t know what your verification number is because they don’t have your phone.
Here is a video from Google explaining it in detail:
How to Set up 2 Step Verification
1. Sign in to your Google Account settings page by clicking on your name or picture in the upper right corner of the screen and then clicking Account.
2. At the top, click Security.
3. In the Password box, click Setup next to “2-Step verification.” This will bring you to the 2-Step Verification settings page.
When you’re finished, you’ll be taken to the 2-Step Verification settings page again. Be sure to review your settings and add backup phone numbers.
Once you’re set up, the next time you try to log into Gmail you’ll be asked for your verification number after entering your username and password. Your mobile phone should receive an SMS text message from Google containing your verification number.
Click HERE for more details on setting up 2 Step Verification, including setup for Android users.
Choose a hard-to-crack password
Choosing a hard-to-crack password is not as secure as 2-step verification, but it’s very important nonetheless. Here is an excellent video on how to choose a strong password.
– a:m web get real results for your website, social media and online advertising ensuring your business grows. To see our work or get a quote, visit us today at www.amweb.ie
– See more at: https://seniorcare2017.wpengine.com/blog_information/14-09-22/How_To_Prevent_Your_Gmail_Account_From_Being_Hacked.aspx#sthash.w01vCYoH.dpuf
- Alzheimer's and Dementia
- Dental Health
- Elder Abuse
- Entitlements for Older People
- Expert Interviews
- Eye Problems
- Heart Health
- Hip Problems
- Home Care
- Multigenerational housing
- Nursing Homes