There are several programmes in Ireland which carry out small jobs for older people in local communities.
All of these services are free and just a phone call away. This is not an exhaustive list so please let us know of other initiatives and we will update this article.
Please share this information with anyone who might benefit from these excellent services.
1. Age Action Care & Repair Service – Dublin, Galway, Cork
The Care & Repair Programme was established to carry out “odd jobs” for older people and to provide a befriending service. The programme is currently based in Dublin, Galway and Cork, and on a franchise basis in other locations around the country. Care & Repair is funded by Irish Life Plc.
The main aim of the Programme is to assist older people to carry out necessary small repairs and improvements to their homes, enabling them to live independently in the community in increased comfort and safety.
In order to meet the needs of older people, Care and Repair provides a range of practical repair and care services including:
- Small repairs service
- Home Visiting/Befriending Service
- Daily Contact Service
- Trades Referral Service
- Quote Check Service
- Working with other local voluntary groups in establishing a Care & Repair Service
LO-CALL: 1890 369 369
2. Tús Care and Repair – South Dublin Area
Tús Care & Repair is a free service supporting the older and less mobile members of the South Dublin area. They carry out small odd jobs for people in need within the South County Dublin area Free of Charge e.g.: Painting gardening etc.
Who can avail of the service?
– All older people and people with reduced mobility who are living in our area
– All community groups in our area
What kind of jobs?
– Cutting grass and small gardening jobs
– Minor home decorating
– Small painting jobs
– Changing of light bulbs
– All small DIY jobs considered
How they work
- Resident makes contact with Tus Care & Repair office when they have a job that needs doing
- A team of two workers will assess the job
- Scope of work is agreed between the client and Tus workers
- A time frame for the job is worked out
- A team of two or more will carry out the work
- They provide the tools, the client must provide the materials needed for the job
- Workers are instructed not to take money under any circumstances
- All work to be signed for on completion
Contact: John Mackey – 0860270821
3. Blanchardstown Care & Repair
Full details of the service can be found here: https://www.bap.ie/blanchardstown-care-repair
4. Limerick Care & Repair
The Limerick City Care and Repair Project provides minor repair and maintenance services to older people by using a pool of trustworthy volunteers and handypersons. The Project is currently being piloted in the Our Lady Queen of Peace area of Limerick City.
Minor Repair Service: 061-324703 / 087-3906793
5. Waterford Care & Repair
Are you 65+ years of age and living in Waterford City?
Do you have a small repair job that you would like to have done? Waterford Area Partnership in association with Age Action Ireland is offering a Care & Repair Service.
Age Action is Ireland’s leading charity for older people. Our Care & Repair service uses a pool of trustworthy trades-people to carry out minor repairs and odd jobs for older people who find it difficult to do these jobs themselves.
Full details of the service can be found here: https://www.wap.ie/Care_and_Repair.aspx
- Alzheimer's and Dementia
- Dental Health
- Elder Abuse
- Entitlements for Older People
- Expert Interviews
- Eye Problems
- Heart Health
- Hip Problems
- Home Care
- Multigenerational housing
- Nursing Homes