Did you know about the Household Benefits Package?
The Department of Social and Family Affairs administers a group of allowances wo which many people over 66 years are entitled. These are known as the Household Benefits Package or the free schemes.
Below is a list of the Household Benefits Package
and the other main entitlements for older people:
1. Free Electricity - you qualify if you are over 70, or over 66 and receiving most social welfare pensions and meeting a means test
2. Free Natural Gas - offered as an alternative to free electricity. You must be a registered consumer of natural gas on the Bord Gáis domestic supply
3. Free Bottled Gas - offered if you are not connected to natural gas or electricity
4. Free Television License - offered if you qualify for free electricity, natural gas, or bottled gas
5. Free Telephone Rental - offered to all over 70, regardless of means; those over 66 receiving most
social welfare pensions or allowances such as disability allowance;
those over 66 not receiving benefit but satisfying a means test.
6. National Fuel Scheme - offered to those dependent on social welfare payments
7. Medical Card - offered to all over 70, regardless of means. Others considered on the basis of income but those receiving most social
welfare pensions generally qualify, also those receiving some other
allowances such as disability allowance.
8. Free Travel - offered to all Irish residents, aged 66 or over
9. Carers Allowance and Carers Benefit - if a person is receiving full-time care, their carer may qualify for a Carer's Allowance or Carer's Benefit. Carer's
Allowance is a means-tested payment, whereas Carer's Benefit is based
on PRSI contributions
10. Treatment Benefit - entitlement is based on PRSI contributions.
11. Living Alone Allowance - offered to social welfare pensioners living alone and 66 years or over. It is also available to people under age 66 who are receiving allowances such as disability allowance and who live alone
12. Supplementary Welfare Allowance
- those receiving a social welfare or similar type payment may qualify in an emergency situation or in special circumstances
- For more detailed information on all of the above entitlements, visit the Trust Us website www.trustus.ie
- For specific details on the Household Benefits Package click here
- To drill down on individual entitlements, visit the DFSA website here www.welfare.ie
Are there any other entitlements you know of? Share them in the comments.